Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Week 2 - Reading Post: A Revelation

I think the thing that I learned most from the first two chapters of this book was something about myself. This “thing” is something that I’ve had to deal with throughout this course and upon reflection, throughout my entire life. I’m talking about the types of books that speak to me and the type that I really cannot in any way relate to. Unfortunately, this book seems to be of the latter. I would classify it as more of a philosophical get-in-touch-with-your-inner-self type book. After finished up the first couple chapters, I felt a rush of all the books I’d read come back to me – those I enjoyed and those I did not (regardless of the genre or content). As an individual with a severe case of concrete logical-mathematical thinking, I realize that my brain has a particularly hard time processing text that is deeply philosophical, yet reading a physics, chemistry, or calculus text is relatively easy. As is reading any manual on whatever the topic. And I find some of the statements in the book particularly hard for my brain to accept. Take this passage on p.20 for example: “The pie is enormous, and if you take a slice, the pie is whole again.” (Zander, 2000) Now, as we all know, if you subtract a part from the whole, as long as the part is > 0, you no longer have the whole, as is insinuated by the authors.

Poor mathematics aside, the awareness of my own strengths and weaknesses in reading opened my eyes to the difficulties that some student may have in reading such texts as I enjoy, and quite truthfully, this was my greatest take-away from the first couple chapters.

So, that aside, I do see the value of thinking outside the box, as explained in the text. Another part of the text that resonated with me was the part about scarcity thinking. I believe as Americans, we have really fallen into that mind-set and try to accumulate as much as we possibly can, without much regard for those that have little to nothing.

Moving into chapter three was fearful (because it was much longer than the infinitely long previous two chapters combined) but I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed the authors take on “giving an A” and thought at length about what kind of effect that would have on a student population I might be working with next year.

Ironically, I didn’t really start to get into the text myself until I watched the TED talk (which I had seen a couple years ago) and remembered how much I enjoyed watching Ben Zander. And at that point, I decided to give the book an A, and have enjoyed it much more ever since.

(image from the cover of The Art of Possibility by Rosamund Stone Zander and Benjamin Zander)

6 comments:

  1. Brian,

    I had the same problem at first too by thinking in logical terms and was stuck on trying to figure out the pie thing. It was the chapter on giving an A that really helped me out. I have actually started using the “A” method at work and it makes everything a little easier. For instance, the other day I was confused by another co-workers idea for something having to do with training so I tossed it aside and didn’t think about it again. After reading the chapter on giving an A, I thought about the idea and for a moment I stepped outside the box. The next day I went back to work and told my co-worker that he was brilliant. I was able to see the idea in a 3rd dimension instead of just the normal 2 dimensions. I was able to see depth. I had given my co-worker an A and we worked together to build upon his idea. By having an open mind I was able to use logic more appropriately and harmoniously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian.

    Although I didn't have the same reactions as you did in reading chapters 1-2, it was also the third chapter that really kicked me in the pants. I think what really made it powerful was the use of examples of the philosophy in practice.

    I had a similar situation to you Josh during a school leadership meeting yesterday. In trying to develop the best possible STEM strategies for my school next year. I've had a hard time over the last few weeks in wrapping myself around some of the ideas that the other team members were suggesting. I thought about our readings this week and mentally said to myself that everyone in the conference room was deserving of an A, especially since we were all working towards making the learning environments for our students better. It was only then that I was able to see their viewpoints and progress was made in our planning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was taken aback at first by the text, thinking it was going to be like a self help book, looking at greatness, but pleasantly, found it just the opposite! Chapter 4, Being a Contribution, probably had the biggest impact on me. I am always looking for ways I can grow. One area I can grow is through being a contribution and also recognizing everyone has the ability to be a contribution as well. By recognizing not only my own ideas, but also the ideas of others and their importance, I feel I can live my life in a better way by making a contribution a priority as a teacher, and as a Christian.

    I also found this chapter to shift my thinking in the classroom. My students often reflect on their learning each day. This chapter forced me to go another direction and examine what might happen if I get students and myself more interested in contribution. That might mean contribution to class work, contribution to our class as a community, or contribution to the world at large. This takes pressure off students to be right, and allows them to take risks and be involved, to contribute.

    I am glad to see that after you made it through the first few chapters of the book you were able to make a connection in chapter 3 and to the video. Sometimes I think just being open to other people’s point of view can change our perception of the world and of them even if it does not change our mind about how we feel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate you discerning certain types of books. A scripture in the Bible says “Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers” (1 Timothy 4:16). This means the life we live and the words by which we live must be closely monitored. When studying the Bible with new converts, I often ask “which is more important? Life or Doctrine?” Of course, it is sort of a trick question because both are equally important, much like the wings on a plane. Reading the Art of Possibility provided little in the way of direction, so I can see your frustration. It certainly offers insightful ideas from a couple of very intelligent and wise authors, but ultimately, we have to make sense of it all and base our decisions based on their “practices”.

    For myself, I appreciate the quote about the shoe salesman in Africa. Sometimes changing our perspective can certainly provide solutions to complex problems. Perhaps the logical/mathematical part of you can see it as a social experiment, like some sort of AR Project with people. What’s more important, that as educator’s, we are in a position to change the thinking of our students. I already gave my students the speech about the shoe salesman in Africa to help them get a different perspective on their homework. Will they do their homework now? Maybe it affected 1 person. For that reason, it was worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gave the book an A as well after reading chapter 3 anyway! I am glad that you found your own way to appreciate and make a connection with what was being said! That's great!. Chapter 3 was my favorite and it even inspired me to write my own letter. I know my letter doesn't have the same affect as I wrote it when we are almost finished with our degree but it really made me think about all I have overcome and accomplished in the past year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Brian,

    Can you relate to the laws of thermodynamics, in which nothing is created or destroyed?

    In the analogy of the pie, the author may be referring to the idea of a pie.

    Thanks, for the mind spring.

    ReplyDelete